All interviews and homenajes are property of Rancho Alegre Radio. Any reposting, reproduction or retransmission on any platform without crediting Rancho Alegre Radio and without our written permission is prohibited.
**If you want to play our interview on your station, just ask us (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you repost our article, just credit us. That's all we ask.**
The “King of the Brown Sound” is a fitting nickname for Little Joe Hernandez. The music he has played over his storied career has blended together everything from mariachi, orquesta, conjunto, country, doo-wop, Sinatra-style standards, jazz, rock, salsa, and whatever else sounds and feels right, creating a sound that has resonated with Chicanos for over 50 years.
Coming from humble beginnings in the cotton fields of Temple, Texas, Little Joe has seen it all. Famous for collaborations and duets, the Grammy winner has worked with everyone from Conjunto pioneer Valerio Longoria to longtime Tejano friends Ruben Ramos and Roberto Pulido to Country legend Willie Nelson to parody master extraordinaire Weird Al Yankovic.
We made a special trip to his museum in Temple to talk with the man himself. Surrounded by photos and memorabilia, we talked about his life and career, even some politics. There’s a lot of insight, a lot of philosophy, and some good laughs too.
It’s so good that we broke it up into three parts…enjoy!
(note: we included his Schlitz Beer commercial for historical purposes only)
- Al Cortar Una Gardenia – with La Familia
- Indita Mia – with the Latinaires
- Que Lastima – with Johnny & Rocky Hernandez and La Familia
- Una Mujer De Este Pueblo – with Johnny and La Familia
- Luchare – Los Carnales de Little Joe
- Take Me To Jail – Little Joe
- Ramona – Rocky Hernandez with Little Joe
- Por Una Mujer Casada (Live) – with La Familia
- Pajarillo Barraqueño – with La Familia
- Que Paso La Ultima Vez – with Mariachi Companas de America
- Las Nubes – with La Familia
- Borrachera – with La Familia
- Mira Juanita – with La Familia
- Prieta Linda – with La Familia
- Devolucion – with La Familia
- Noche De Amores – with Valerio Longoria
- Our Last Night – with Donna Fargo and Johnny Rodriguez
- Amor, Amor – with Willie Nelson
- Recuerdos Querido Amigo – with Gilberto Perez
- Ojala – with David Lee Garza
- Cartas Marcadas – as Los Tres Amigos w/Ruben Ramos and Roberto Pulido
- Serenata Huasteca – Los Tres Amigos
- Flor Del Rio – with La Familia
- Only You – with La Familia
- La Unica Estrella – with La Familia
- Ojitos Verdes
- Por Un Amor
- Tome Schlitz
- Las Nubes – with Los Palominos